You don’t have to walk for hours as just a brisk 10-minute daily walk has lots of health benefits and will free up your mind, reducing stress and helping towards your recommended 150 minutes of weekly exercise.
This gentle, low-impact exercise has lots of benefits:
- Strengthens your heart – as described in our healthy heart guide, walking is a cardio exercise and helps reduce your risk of heart disease and stroke.
- Lose weight – By working a walk into your daily routine it will help you lose weight. The faster you walk will also have an effect on how many calories you lose with an article on the Very Well website stating that someone weighing 180 pound (just over 12 stone) will burn 144 calories if they walk at 3mph for 30-minutes.
- Makes you happier – Exercise has been proven to boost your mood as it helps to release feel-good endorphins, reduce stress and anxiety. The Whole Life Challenge says, “Walks can be one of the most meditative experiences you can have. It’s low skill. You don’t have to think through complicated movements. It’s just one foot in front of the other.”
- Boosts vitamin D – Vitamin D helps with our immune system and the strength of our bones. By walking regularly you will get your vitamin D fix.
- Tones your legs – Walking also gives definition to your calves and quads. Going on regular hill walks will be even more effective.