Here are 5 Dr Marilyn Glenville's top tips to balance blood sugar for Diabetes Week.
1. Avoid all stimulants such as tea, coffee, chocolate, energy drinks or cigarettes. The initial stimulating ‘high’ quickly passes and you plummet down to a ‘low’ leaving you feeling tired and drained. This often leads to cravings and the need for another boost.
2. Avoid refined foods such as biscuits, cakes, white bread, white flour, white pastry, white pasta and white rice. Refined foods are no longer in their ‘whole’ state and have been stripped of their natural goodness by various manufacturing processes.
3. Limit (preferably avoid) sugar or foods containing sugar, such as chocolate, sweets, biscuits, pastries and soft drinks (including flavoured waters).
4. Never have sugar or stimulants on an empty stomach. If you absolutely must have some, have it after a meal.
5. Always dilute pure juices with water– 3/4 water with 1/4 juice. NB Add some of the pulp back after home juicing to increase fibre and lower the GI of the drink
Champneys will be running Living and preventing Type 2 Diabetes courses and retreats in the Autumn 2016.